Search

Friday, November 12, 2010

Prayer

PRAYER:

"Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me,
and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when
ye shall search for me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 28:12-13)

It had been a long time since I had earnestly prayed (key word --
earnestly). It was well after 1:00 in the morning and my mind was
consumed with my troubles. I couldn't sleep. The hymn "Prayer Is The
Soul's Sincere Desire" flashed in my brain and I couldn't get it out.
I felt compelled to get on my knees. 

In the darkness of the early morning hour I knelt beside my bed. I
spoke out loud about my frustrations, problems, and feelings. I poured
out my heart and just talked to Heavenly Father like He was sitting on
the edge of the bed listening to every word. Eventually, I came to a
point where I didn't know what to say; I could no longer find the
words to paint the picture of my sorrows. I just knelt there next to
my bed, absorbed in my thoughts, unable to speak.

Prayer is the soul's sincere desire,
Uttered or unexpressed
The motion of a hidden fire
That trembles in the breast.
Then the most amazing thing happened; my heart pounded, my chest
filled and overflowed with warmth that flooded through my body. I
heard an unmistakable thought in my mind that was in my own voice …
but it didn't come from me.

"I love you," the voice said. I bit my lower lip as tears flowed and I
struggled for a response. All I could say was, "Thank you."

Prayer is the burden of a sigh,
The falling of a tear,
The upward glancing of an eye
When none but God is near.
That sentiment of love from my Heavenly Father reminded me that I
wasn't alone. He was telling me that I would get through this problem.
As I continued to bury my face into the side of my bed, the warmth and
pressure increased from my chest and spread across my arms and around
my body. It was unmistakable … I was getting a hug.

Then another thought from the voice: "I've missed you." I'd missed Him
too. I used to pray for everything: help with my Sunday School or
Seminary lessons, for the kids in my classes, to reactivate my mother
back to the fold of the church, for our financial and family woes to
lessen, that my children would get home safely from a date or church
activity. Whatever! But so much time had passed, nearly 6 months,
since I had really "talked" to God. I was embarrassed and didn't feel
worthy to be in God's presence. And, wouldn't you know it, all this
time He had been waiting for me so He could let me know that He was
aware of my troubles and would be there for me. He was glad I finally
decided to go to Him for advice.

Prayer is the contrite sinner's voice,
Returning from his ways,
While angels in their songs rejoice,
And cry, "Behold, he prays."
I had prayed for the Comforter to help clear my mind of my troubles
and help me sleep. I received that comfort in a loving embrace and in
the kind words of my loving Heavenly Father. I heard His voice confirm
that I was important and a special daughter with a special purpose.

When I finally crawled into bed, it was after 3:00 am. My feet were numb.

Later that morning, when I finally got up at 9:00, I felt renewed. I
started doing housework, went outside and pulled weeds, and cleaned up
the flowerbeds. I felt invigorated and had a great sense of pride in
my accomplishments of the day. I hadn't felt that way in a long time.

What a shame I had to be compelled to pray. Alma 32:16 states:

" …blessed are they who humble themselves
without being compelled to be humble…"
Doctrine and Covenants 58:26 echoes with:

"… for he that is compelled in all things,
the same is a slothful and not a wise servant …"
O thou by whom we come to God,
The Life, the Truth, the Way!
The path of prayer thyself hast trod;
Lord, teach us how to pray.
Hymn #145 "Prayer Is The Soul's Sincere Desire"
My advice to you: Don't waste another minute. Talk with your Heavenly
Father now. Right this minute. Close your eyes, bow your head, and
just say "Thank you."

And say hello from me.

-Unknown Author

No comments:

Post a Comment